- By sahlhealth
- May 18, 2021
- 15 views
Alcohol poisoning is a serious â€” and sometimes deadly â€” consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature and gag reflex and potentially lead to a coma and death.Alcohol poisoning can also occur when adults or children accidentally or intentionally drink household products that contain alcohol.A person with alcohol poisoning needs immediate medical attention. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, call for emergency medical help right away.
Alcohol poisoning signs and symptoms include:
- Slow breathing (less than eight breaths a minute)
- Irregular breathing (a gap of more than 10 seconds between breaths)
- Blue-tinged skin or pale skin
- Low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Passing out (unconsciousness) and can't be awakened
When to see a doctor
It's not necessary to have all the above signs or symptoms before you seek medical help. A person with alcohol poisoning who is unconscious or can't be awakened is at risk of dying.
In addition to checking for visible signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning, your doctor will likely order blood and urine tests to check blood alcohol levels and identify other signs of alcohol toxicity, such as low blood sugar.
Alcohol poisoning treatment usually involves supportive care while your body rids itself of the alcohol. This typically includes:
- Prevention of breathing or choking problems
- Oxygen therapy
- Fluids given through a vein (intravenously) to prevent dehydration
- Use of vitamins and glucose to help prevent serious complications of alcohol poisoning
- Adults and children who have accidentally consumed methanol or isoprophyl alcohol may need hemodialysis â€” a mechanical way of filtering waste and toxins from your system â€” to speed the removal of alcohol from their bloodstream.